No. 2 Baldwin Engine
Let's get No. 2 running under its own power.
Help finance its rebuilding!
Locomotive No. 2 was built new for the New Berlin & Winfield in 1906 by Baldwin. It is a 20 ton 2-6-0, Mogul producing 6,289-lbs. tractive effort.
The NB&W operated an 8-mile line in Pennsylvania, for an agricultural community. No. 2 hauled freight and passengers on this small operation until the mid teens. In 1917 the locomotive was sold to the Argent Lumber Co. in South Carolina. No. 2 worked the swamp trackage, hauling logs back to the mill in Hardeeville.
This trim Mogul became the "main line" engine during the late 1950s at Argent Lumber Company making two trips per day from the mill to the woods interchange point where she exchanged empty cars for loaded ones. No. 2 can claim to have burned three types of fuel: coal, wood, and oil.
After the railroad shut down the locomotive was purchased by the MCRR and shipped to Iowa. It was rebuilt by the early 70's and operated as the main road engine for nearly 20 years until 1987 when it was taken out of service for a complete rebuild. This rebuild includes a complete frame up restoration comprising of a new boiler.
No. 2 being refueled in August 1974
No. 2 going over the bridge at the Old Threasher's Reunion in Mt. Pleasant, IA, August 1974
Random Updates Regarding No. 2's Rebuilding
The effort to get No. 2 rolling on its wheels and running under its own power goes in "fits and starts." Much of the effort is spearheaded by Kendall O. The following sets of pictures show some of the work as it progresses from a pile worthy of a visit from a scrap dealer to a functional steam locomotive. Each picture displayed below links to a larger version.
Midwest Central Railroad Mount Pleasant, Iowa 52641 319−385−2912 (updated 04Aug16)